there are days when i wonder whether all my years of book learning count for anything, because my level of common sense seems to exist in inverse proportion to say, my IQ. for example, it did not occur to me to TRY ON the rick socks that i wasnt sure about. i am a little mortified to think i actually put that out there in the public forum. i really didnt think to try them on. i dont know why. i just didnt. like i dont think to screw back on the lid to the vegemite jar, for example.
so thanks for all those brilliant suggestions. i tried it on. it fitted very nicely on the cuff, and went nicely up my calf no problem. i could see that the leg was going to get a little loose and the whole yarn over at the end of the needle on magic loop was annoying the crap out of me, so i switched to 2.25mm DPNs. after i ripped back to the cuff and started the pattern again, of course. they look much better now, thanks for asking:
ripping seemed to be the knitting theme for the weekend, because the girasole got a bit of frog action as well. i knew that something had gone amiss with the stitch count somewhere near the beginning of Chart C but i thought i had worked it out and it would be ok. however, when i moved to Chart D, all hell broke loose. you know how i said i liked the “dealing with mistakes’ section in ‘heirloom knitting’? the line that stuck in my head as i drifted off to sleep on saturday night was ‘the set up rows for lace patterns are the most important’. when i woke up sunday morning, i knew what i had to do.
i laid it all out on a towel so the stitches would be less inclined to slide around and marked what appeared to be the start of the round back at the beginning of chart c:
i removed the needles:
i ripped. a lot. i may have shed a tear.
then i switched to a smaller knitpicks tip and a very long cable,
and carefully picked up 280 odd stitches until they were all back on the needle.
i also, at this point, inserted a lifeline. no, i didnt already have one. i dont know why not (see above). well, partly it was because im lazy, and had been using an addi fixed cable, and it doesnt have one of those convenient little holes to thread some cotton through so it creates the lifeline as you knit. anyway, it has a lifeline now. its also knitting back up very quickly, and is so far, touch wood, mistake free.
as i am reknitting it, i am thinking that i actually missed an entire row. there is a stitch combination that i have no memory whatsoever of performing the first time around. again, the vegemite jar analogy springs to mind. it feels nice to be getting it right this time, however, so the ripping angst was at least worthwhile.
lets hope i can keep my mind on the job second time around.